Tuesday 2 May 2017

MBA Lands UK Government Finance Job After CIMA Qualification


John Anderson is a graduate of Middlesex University's full-time MBA program in 2006. He has worked in finance related roles in the rail network - which owns and manages most of the rail network in the UK - almost one of each.

Then, in 2014, he decided to continue his career in finance to the next level and pursue a professional degree in accounting CIMA - The Institute of Accountants Management.

CIMA is the largest professional body of management accountants in the world. CIMA supports and invokes 150 000 Public Accountants of Global Management (CGMA) around the world.

 The CIMA qualification is designed in response to the employer's request. It extends beyond the scope of traditional accounting programs - as well as technical accounting knowledge, it focuses on modern topics focused on management, as do the great data, sustainability and leadership. CIMA students were assessed using case studies focused on tasks that reflect the current work environment.

For MBA students, CIMA qualification is a way to excel in the job market. CIMA offers a path to the entrance gate of the main entrance, a fast track for MBA holders that exempts 11 explorations. John received his CIMA degree in less than a year. He is now a registered global management account, ACMA CGMA.

By studying the CIMA qualification, he joined Capita and achieved commercial financial aspects of a 2 billion project of deploying smart meters for energy users in the UK.

After completing the CIMA qualification he was given a leadership position as a Finance Officer for the UK Department of Transportation. An MBA helped, but needed the CIMA qualification for the job. In fact, he would not be where he is now without him.

Why did you decide to follow the CIMA qualification?

The MBA is an excellent qualification and I always use the lessons of that experience in my daily work. However, I wanted my career that focuses on finance.

I saw two main advantages for continuing the CIMA qualification. First, being professionally qualified and maintaining an MBA can open doors for financial positions. There is some seriousness with CIMA qualification that helps you move into the financial community and develop a career based on finances. Secondly, I wanted to develop new financial skills that were not covered in the MBA program.

What is a CIMA qualification gives an MBA, no?

My experience was that while my MBA covers some of the financial elements of the CIMA course, CIMA has more content than the MBA. Although the CIMA strategic level content was excellent for further developing my knowledge in strategic finance, I still use it now. Part of the new course content, such as large data, was very useful - and this has never been covered in my MBA.

How does knowledge apply to your current position?

My role invites me to continue financial elements in large public markets of the railway franchise.

I regularly use CIMA learning as financial risk management, corporate governance and project management in my daily work day. In addition, the problem-solving techniques I have learned in CIMA courses have been of great value to me to discuss and address issues that often involve high levels of ambiguity, complexity, and uncertainty.

How has your CIMA qualification helped your career?

CIMA No, I would not have been able to apply for my current role - being professionally qualified was a prerequisite.

I believe that the depth in the economic content of the CIMA course and addressing the establishment of business and problem solving has enriched my work experience and my existing qualifications. I consider financial roles focused on leadership in the future and the CIMA rating will help support this ambition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.